Student Education Records Privacy
This policy governs information regarding enrolled or prospective students that is maintained by the College in the performance of its functions as an educational institution.
The College respects the individual privacy interests of its students and maintains the confidentiality of student education records in the spirit of the federal privacy laws.
“Confidentiality” shall refer to an obligation not to disclose or transit information to unauthorized parties.
“Directory information” shall mean the following types of information within a student education record: the student’s name, address, contact information, College ID photo, dates of enrollment, enrollment status, academic program, academic advisor, campus, class standing, academic awards and honors, and degrees and credentials awarded.
“Privacy” shall mean a personal right that reflects an individual’s freedom from intrusion. Protecting privacy means ensuring that information about individuals is not disclosed to unauthorized parties without the individual’s consent.
“Student education records,” sometimes referred to as student records, shall mean records, files, documents, and other materials that contain information directly related to a student and that are maintained by the College. They contain the administrative records of students’ educational progress, along with any information about past or current use of school-related services. Medical and counseling records, which are protected according to provisions of state and federal law, are not included.
ACCESS TO STUDENT RECORDS AND INFORMATION
The College may disclose student education records or directory information, as appropriate, to the extent permissible under federal and state law as follows:
- to the student that is the subject of the records or directory information, provided that the private information of others is not included or disclosed;
- to persons within the College with a legitimate need to review and use such records or directory information for the purpose of performing an appropriate College function;
- to persons authorized by the student to receive such records or directory information;
- to other educational institutions in which the student seeks to enroll or is already enrolled in, so long as the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s transfer or enrollment; and
- to persons and parties authorized to receive such records or directory information without the student’s consent, including:
- to persons in compliance with a court order or lawfully issued subpoena, provided that a reasonable attempt is made to notify the student where required prior to release;
- to appropriate members of the court system should legal actions against the College be taken by the student and the disclosure is part of the College’s defense;
- to appropriate persons in connection with an emergency if knowledge of the records or information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals; and
- to accrediting organizations and state or federal education authorities and agencies using the records or information for auditing, evaluating, or enforcing legal requirements of educational programs, provided the data is protected to prohibit the identification of students.